If you haven't seen the television show "Gilmore Girls" you are missing on out on some fast talking, diner food eating, book reading goodness. This blog is about celebrating the book reading aspect, but you might also find additional references to "Gilmore Girls" or reading in general throughout. Some awesome soul compiled a list of 349 books read or featured on "Gilmore Girls", and this blog is my attempt to read all of them in two years. Join me for the good, the bad, the oh-my-gosh-i-don't-wanna-read-that, and more. For every book I complete, I will be donating books to children.

Friday, January 22, 2016

January 2016 reading goals

Reading goals
I realized recently that I didn't read nearly as much as I had thought in 2015. It was a little depressing, but it also made some of my dissatisfaction with 2015 make more sense. Last year wasn't great--it actually really sucked in many ways, and I really think not reading as much as I would like had a big impact on the year.

So, one of my 2016 goals is to read more. A LOT MORE.

Reading simply makes me--and keeps me--happy. It keeps me engaged and it keeps me going.

I started tracking my reading a long while ago after reading Nick Hornby's The Polysyllabic Spree (read about it HERE) and then after being coming across the Rory Gilmore Reading List (the inspiration for this blog--find it HERE), but I haven't really tracked my reading much in a while.

It's time to get back to it!

Last month I was doing a lot of tutoring at my local library and started picking up books every time I was there. It was one of the best decisions I made last month! I've continued using my library this month even though I haven't done any tutoring in the last few weeks. The library is close and easy to stop by before or after other errands.

I then decided to start tracking my reading again after coming across bookish posts from two of my favorite creative and business inspirations, Michelle Ward of When I Grow Up Coach and Leonie Dawson from the Shining Biz + Life Academy, they both posted on Facebook asking for book recommendations (in closed/private groups/pages so I can't link to the discussions...sorry!).

Here is my January 2016 reading list with a few notes since the month is more than half over:
  • Money: A Love Story by Kate Northrup  
  • ~Ing by Gabby Bernstein (loan period expired and no more renewals available...will probably re-add this to my list in the future)
  • Fail, Fail Again, Fail Better by Pema Chödrön
  • Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg--LOVED LOVED LOVED IT! 
  • Wiser: Getting Beyond Group Think to Make Groups Smarter by Cass Sunstein and Reid Hastie 
  • Duct Tape Selling: Think Like a Marketer--Sell Like a Superstar by John Jantsch (loan period expired and no more renewals available...will check out again in the future)
  • We: How to Increase Performance and Profits Through Full Engagement by Rudy Karsan and Kevin Kruse
  • Notorious RBG by Irin Carmon and Shana Knizhnik ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS I HAVE EVER READ! I highly recommend reading this alongside Lean-In!
  • To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (In SPANISH!)
  • The Bastard of Istanbul by Elif Shafak
  • El tiempo entre costuras by María Dueña 
  • War of the Foxes by Richard Siken (returned unread -- the first few poems didn't really resonate for me)
  • Erratic Facts by Kay Ryan
  • We Mammals in Hospitable Times by Jynne Dilling Martin (returned unread -- again the first few poems didn't do it for me)
  • Shades of Blue: Writers on Depression, Suicide, and Feeling Blue edited by Amy Ferris (Another one that I loved -- it actually was very uplifting for me)
  • The End of Memory by Jay Ingram (had to return it as loan period ended and no more renewals available. Definitely will check out again to finish it!)
In December, I finished these books and recommend them all:
  • Beautiful Unbroken by Mary Jane Nealon (memoir; so moving and beautiful!)
  • Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee (fiction; Not at all what I expected!)
  • Like a Beggar by Ellen Bass (poetry; One of the best poetry collections I've ever read!)
  • Year of Yes by Shonda Rhimes (memoir/personal development; So funny! Loved it!)


So, what are you reading? What have you read that you loved? What have you read that you hated?

No comments:

Post a Comment