If you haven't seen the television show "Gilmore Girls" you are missing on out on some fast talking, diner food eating, book reading goodness. This blog is about celebrating the book reading aspect, but you might also find additional references to "Gilmore Girls" or reading in general throughout. Some awesome soul compiled a list of 349 books read or featured on "Gilmore Girls", and this blog is my attempt to read all of them in two years. Join me for the good, the bad, the oh-my-gosh-i-don't-wanna-read-that, and more. For every book I complete, I will be donating books to children.

Sunday, January 19, 2014

What to read next?

The first few books I have read for my Rory Gilmore Reading List challenge have left me so overwhelmed emotionally that for a few days I haven't been able to pick up anything new. I did start Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevski recently, but it is looooooong with dense prose — a daunting read! I picked up several other books and read the first few lines of each only to put them down again. It hasn't helped that my son and I were both ill for several days.

After laying about in bed and on the couch, and after binge watching every episode of "Raising Hope" on Netflix (I had forgotten how much I like Martha Plimpton), I decided to try again. Last night I picked up The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan. I adore this book. I've read it probably five or six times. It was definitely the right choice! I'm not terribly far in yet (only about 30 pages) since I'm trying to pull the house back together after several days of neither of us doing any housework due to being sick, but I'm in love with this book. This is a book that leaves me feeling connected to my own family even though my family is so different from the families in The Joy Luck Club. This is a book that feels like falling in step with old friends I haven't seen in years but feeling like no time has passed at all. Do you know that feeling? That is the feeling of comfort and belonging.
Four covers for The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan
I will continue to read Crime and Punishment, chapter by chapter, and will add some poetry as well (maybe a poem or two per day?). There are a few poets on the list. Regardless, I'm so glad I started this challenge. I adore reading. I think that after I finish The Joy Luck Club, I will likely dive into The Opposite of Fate: Memories of a Writing Life, also by Amy Tan. I think I've read it before, but I'm not entirely certain.

Once I've marked five books as finished, I will be making my first donation of books to literacy causes (I haven't decided on the particular charity yet, but am open to suggestions). A friend recently messaged to say that she and her husband were inspired by my blog and donated several books to a literacy charity and have more that they will be donating soon. YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment