If you haven't seen the television show "Gilmore Girls" you are missing on out on some fast talking, diner food eating, book reading goodness. This blog is about celebrating the book reading aspect, but you might also find additional references to "Gilmore Girls" or reading in general throughout. Some awesome soul compiled a list of 349 books read or featured on "Gilmore Girls", and this blog is my attempt to read all of them in two years. Join me for the good, the bad, the oh-my-gosh-i-don't-wanna-read-that, and more. For every book I complete, I will be donating books to children.

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The Joy Luck Club - Finished

This morning, I finished reading The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan, and I just had to watch the movie! This is one of my favorite books and movies. I love the multi-generational story told from multiple points of view, and that this story spans so many hopes and joys, disappointments and sorrows.
Although the novel is about a group of Chinese women and their mothers, I believe it transcends nationality or generationality, but I wonder how much it appeals to or is truly understandable by men. Guys, chime in here! I recall reading it in a high school English class, but I really don't recall what anyone thought about it. I was so in love with the novel, even then, that I don't recall what anyone else thought.

I loved The Joy Luck Club as a teenager and young woman, but now that I've read it a few times as a mother, I have a totally different understanding of the novel. That understanding and appreciation has deepened as my son and I have gotten older. Although it is a tale of mothers and daughters, it has appeal for mothers of sons as well.

I was waiting to finish the novel before starting Amy Tan's memoir, The Opposite of Fate. I will be starting The Opposite of Fate today.

As I type this post, I am watching the movie version of The Joy Luck Club. It is one of the few novel to movie adaptations I have enjoyed. From the opening scene of the movie:

A fantastic conversation with Amy Tan:
I also have read a bit more of Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky. I am almost 40 pages in, and I have begun to actually enjoy it! The first 30 pages were challenging, but now I'm starting to appreciate the multiple layers that Dostoevsky has stitched together to create a full picture. I can hear and smell and feel the different textures and layers of the main character's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment