If you haven't seen the television show "Gilmore Girls" you are missing on out on some fast talking, diner food eating, book reading goodness. This blog is about celebrating the book reading aspect, but you might also find additional references to "Gilmore Girls" or reading in general throughout. Some awesome soul compiled a list of 349 books read or featured on "Gilmore Girls", and this blog is my attempt to read all of them in two years. Join me for the good, the bad, the oh-my-gosh-i-don't-wanna-read-that, and more. For every book I complete, I will be donating books to children.

Monday, September 29, 2014

Sophie Kinsella - The Undomestic Goddess

Sophie Kinsella's The Undomestic Goddess definitely is not on the Rory Gilmore reading list. However, until the last several days I haven't had the time or energy to read anything that isn't already familiar and fairly light reading. I've been so stressed due to work, school, and money that I just couldn't keep up with the reading list. I needed something that I could read with ease and picked up The Undomestic Goddess to fill that need.

Undomestic Goddess
The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella

The Undomestic Goddess is a fun little romp in the English countryside, following Samantha Sweeting, a highly stressed, perfectionist, intelligent lawyer who never makes a mistake. But, of course, never say never, right? Samantha is on the brink of becoming partner in one of London's most prestigious law firms and at a fairly young age for such an upward career move. However, it all goes wrong in a single moment when she discovers a career ending oversight, panics and runs away to the countryside with only her mobile phone and feelings of horror.

Samantha unwittingly finds herself in the middle of an interview for domestic help when all she really wants or needs is a glass of water and some aspirin for a headache. Feeling shaky and on edge from everything back at the office and with a splitting headache, Samantha is swept along and finds herself suddenly in a powder blue uniform dusting the bobbles and ornaments while trying to make Cordon Bleu worthy meals Problem is, Samantha's never dusted or cooked in her life!

The entire story is filled with fun and hilarity. I just love The Undomestic Goddess! It is one of my go-to books when I need to lighten things up in my own life.


P.S. - Do you know of a great children's literacy charity that takes book donations? I have a nice pile all ready to be donated and am looking for a worthy cause. Please leave a comment with your suggestion! Thanks!

More off-list book reviews may be found here:

Stationery
Stationery, coloring pages, and bookmarks via digital download from my Etsy shop, Marbles and Jam - your purchase helps support my reading habit and also helps me get out of debt and save for my son's college tuition.

No comments:

Post a Comment