If you haven't seen the television show "Gilmore Girls" you are missing on out on some fast talking, diner food eating, book reading goodness. This blog is about celebrating the book reading aspect, but you might also find additional references to "Gilmore Girls" or reading in general throughout. Some awesome soul compiled a list of 349 books read or featured on "Gilmore Girls", and this blog is my attempt to read all of them in two years. Join me for the good, the bad, the oh-my-gosh-i-don't-wanna-read-that, and more. For every book I complete, I will be donating books to children.

Saturday, October 11, 2014

Bad Monkey by Carl Hiaasen

A few weeks ago, I finished reading Bad Monkey by Carl Hiaasen. It was another easy, light read that I was able to pick up and put down without worrying that I would lose my place or miss an important plot element. Hiaasen has a knack for making crime and mystery funny. The book isn't actually about a bad monkey, but the monkey, although present throughout much of the book, is critical at the turning point of the novel.

Bad Monkey follows disgraced detective Andrew Yancey through an affair with a married-but-on-the-run woman, a relationship with a gorgeous medical examiner, and attempts to get rid of a shady real estate developer. A random arm makes (and remakes) an appearance, as do motorized scooter chairs. Watch out for deceitful women, doctors, and businessmen too!

The monkey is funny, and indeed often bad, but my favorite parts of the story involve Yancey's hilarious and clever attempts to foil the real estate developer that ruin's Yancey's view, among other things. 
Carl Hiaasen
Bad Monkey by Carl Hiaasen
Check out this funny little video synopsis from Carl Hiaasen's webpage for the book:


Check out my other off-list reviews:

bookmarks
Set of four, printable jumbo bookmarks for sale in my Etsy shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment