If you haven't seen the television show "Gilmore Girls" you are missing on out on some fast talking, diner food eating, book reading goodness. This blog is about celebrating the book reading aspect, but you might also find additional references to "Gilmore Girls" or reading in general throughout. Some awesome soul compiled a list of 349 books read or featured on "Gilmore Girls", and this blog is my attempt to read all of them in two years. Join me for the good, the bad, the oh-my-gosh-i-don't-wanna-read-that, and more. For every book I complete, I will be donating books to children.

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Reading update

Reading update

I have neglected my reading blog lately due to several factors, not least of which is having the flu. You would think that the flu might be a great excuse to just lay in bed, reading. Unfortunately, I was so sick I didn't even have the energy to hold a book for more than a few minutes. As such, little reading was done last week.

The week before last, however, I did manage to finish two books - re-reading two of my favorites. When I am feeling stressed out, re-reading is one of my favorite things to do. I often look to books where I either identify strongly with a character or feel uplifted by the story. In this case, I think I felt both about these two books.

Jo-Ann MapsonFirst was The Owl and Moon Cafe by Jo-Ann Mapson. I absolutely adore this book, the sweet story of a girl on the cusp of her teenage years and struggling to fit in, her single college professor mother who loses her job, her free-spirited hippie grandmother, and her stalwart great grandmother. The lives of these four generations of women weave in and out and around and through the Owl and Moon Cafe and the pressures and joys of life. I identify with each character, but in particular the single mom and daughter pair. This novel is contemporary chick-lit, and I love it. It is thoughtful, smart, and moving.

Abigail ThomasSecond was A Three Dog Life by Abigail Thomas. This book is filled with both tragedy and resilience. Thomas reflects on life with a husband who suffers a traumatic brain injury and how it turns both of their lives upside down. Her husband, in many ways, becomes stuck while Thomas has to figure out how to move and navigate a new way of life. She does so with the comfort of three dogs. She finds comfort in small things and in reflecting on her many memories. She finds her way through change to a graceful life that suites her and allows her to come to terms with her husband's injuries while moving forward with her own life.


I also have updated my Books for Sale page with a variety of novels, memoirs, and so on. Please do check them out.

Please note, this blog post contains links to Amazon Affiliates. 
Purchases made through these links may result in my earning a small commission.

No comments:

Post a Comment