In Season 1, Episode 4 of The Gilmore Girls, called “The Deer Hunters,” Rory suffers a major setback at Chilton when she scores a D on an essay in her English class. Of course, her troubles don’t stop there. She’s further tormented by classmates who insist on calling her “Mary”, as in Virgin Mary. And, of course, there is a huge exam on Shakespeare at week’s end that will count for 20% of her grade. After the D, there’s no way Rory can possibly relax and enjoy her learning experience or even her life outside of school. Naturally, she is late for the test and then has a huge meltdown — I would have freaked out too! As happens in many episodes, roles are somewhat reversed and Rory acts as the responsible part while her mom acts as the impulsive teenager.
- A deer runs into the Jeep while Rory is driving to school — not Rory hits a Jeep (and she is late for her test that has no make-ups).
- While Rory is at the intersection where the deer ran into the car, either the stop sign is facing the wrong way or she’s driving the wrong way. It’s the same later when Lorelai is driving them home from school later in the episode.
- Lorelai wears an awesome B-52s t-shirt (feel free to find the shirt and mail me one!).
- Max Medina, one of Lorelai’s future love interests, makes his first appearance.
- Lorelai calls the headmaster of Chilton, Rory’s school, Il Duce — there are a few people I wouldn’t mind calling Il Duce if I thought I could get away with it.
- The best quote in the whole episode: “What’s up, quippy? Why so silent?” when Rory freaks out in class and begins yelling at her nemesis, Paris Geller.
- This episode highlights the pressure Rory puts on herself and how much Luke cares for Rory.
This episode is packed with books, but the titles of most aren’t visible. However, I feel like I discovered a literary gold nugget! I paused, rewound, played, paused and repeated numerous times during a scene in which Lorelai and Rory are in their living room studying for Rory’s test. The living room was strewn with books. As mentioned, most of the titles aren’t actually visible or readable, but...! I was able to read one title that I haven’t seen in ANY list of books from the show! The book is Who’s Who and What’s What in Shakespeare by Evangeline M. O’Connor.
Books discussed, visible, or being read:
The Oxford Shakespeare
The Comedy of Errors by William Shakespeare
Richard III by William Shakespeare
Who’s who and what’s what in Shakespeare by Evangeline M. O’Connor
Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain
Want to buy copies of the Season 1, Episode 4 books for your own Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge? Just follow these links:
- The Oxford Shakespeare
- The Comedy of Errors by William Shakespeare
- Richard III by William Shakespeare
- Who’s Who and What’s What in Shakespeare by Evangeline M. O’Connor
- Shakespeare’s sonnets
- Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain
Check out my post for Season 1, Episode 1, "Pilot" HERE.
Check out Season 1, Episode 2, "The Lorelai's First Day at Chilton" HERE.
Check out Season 1, Episode 3, "Kill Me Now" HERE.
I have started a Facebook reading group to go along with the Reading Rory's List challenge. If you are serious about the challenge and love reading, you may request to join HERE. I have done very little with the group so far, but I have big plans!
Please note, some links are Amazon Affiliate links. Make a purchase through these links may result
in a small commission for me. However, all opinions are 100% my own.